Information in English Language
What is OpenImmo ?
OpenImmo describes real estate objects in a set of over 300 fields.
In the Versions 1.1 to 1.2.7 it uses the XML Data Format so it can transport all languages using UTF-8. Objects are describes in categories:
- object categories like house, appartment, condo, business office, store etc.
- the way of marketing: buy, rent, lease
- geografic information like: street, zip-code, place ..
- price information for buying and renting, several costs and real-estate-agent fees ...
- information about the square of living, storage, balcony ...
- features in livingroom, bath, house or commercial properties
- technical information about heating, cooling, networks ...
- conditions as the state of renovation
- administration of the building or space
- free text areas
- attachments für images, pdf, video an others
- contact information of the real estate agent - and a group of "user_defined_extend" fields allow partners the describe and transfer infomation that can not be found in the other fields.
In most cases openimmo data is send as a ZIP-Packed file (Including binary data) by a software product to an online marketing or service portal. The transfer is mainly done using the FTP protokoll.
- User request can be sent form portals back to software tools as an XML Feedback Attachment in an E-Mail.
Who uses OpenImmo
The OpenImmo data standard is mainly used in the german speaking Europe. A lot of other countrys that a next to our borders like denmark, netherlands, belgium, france or luxemburg cooperate with german software vendors or portals. Countrys like ungary, italy, spain an others are linked often through vacation rentals and buying processes.
The XML Version
The version 1.0 was designed in 2002 unsing the XML Format, which was the right style at that time. Between 2003 and 2017 several updates were developed. The focus was always on a high compatibility to older versions. Data is mostly packed together with binary data (Pictures ..) into a ZIP file and then transfered from sender (realtor softwas ) to the receiver (online portal).
The current (2020) version 1.2.7 can be downloaded
from the german website. The element names and comments are in german language.
There will not be a pure english XML version in the near future. But we provide a translation of the fieldnames in english. This is available for individuals or companys who get a licence key. This includes a registration key to use in the openimmo data. You can order the license here for a one time fee of 100 Euro (No VAT applys) from the german Website.
In 2015 the OpenImmo Group startet the planing process for a new and no more compatible version 2.x .
- This will be a real API using a REST-API.
- The data structures have been reviewed and the amount of elements have been reduced and updated.
At the end of 2019, the first internat "Alpha" Version of OpenImmo 2.x
has been finished.
- Data Structure is in english language
- Data format is now in JSON
- Data is transfered via a REST-API
- Data and REST-API are now described in OpenAPI 3.0
- Datatypes and Formats as added
- Recommendations and instructions for data treatment will be added
- Country specific section are added in sections like price, spaces, features ..
Further refinements will be made until end 2020 leading to a first "beta" version.
FAQ's for Version 1.x
Here are some of the most asked questions. First an most important:
- OpenImmo is not! a Software
- OpenImmo in Version 1.x is not! an API / Interface
- OpenImmo is (only) a description of a dataformat in XML / XML Schema (Version 1.x)
- Download an use a basically free. If you plan to sell a software or build a commercia portal
the organisation would be glad if you grant a licence.
- There is also a premium membership (450 Euro p. Year) (See here for more in German)
- Is OpenImmo free of charge?
- Yes, because there are no general fees. In the license conditions of version 1.2, however, a one-time processing fee of 100 Eur is charged for the granting of a user ID for commercial use. However, if you want to advertise using OpenImmo, this is only permitted if you are a member of OpenImmo e.V. or a licensee. Who e.g. publishes only the data on a broker homepage does not need one! License.
- Do I have to become a member of the OpenImmo e.V.?
- No, as described under point 1, this is not absolutely necessary. The advantage of a membership is the advertising effect and the possibility to help shape the development. More and more brokers are looking for OpenImmo compatible software. Also OpenImmo using portals enjoy higher popularity, because the data transfer to them is easier. In addition, it is possible for members to make suggestions for new versions.
- Why do I need to register to download?
- Do I have to transfer all data to OpenImmo?
- No. In total, there are about 300 possible entries. The large number was chosen to meet the most diverse requirements. This way you can easily offer a holiday home for rent, enter all costs and ancillary costs and also describe the distance to the beach or tennis court. Only about 15 fields are mandatory.
- Does OpenImmo have anything to do with the transmission?
- A clear No. OpenImmo only describes the dataformat you/your software uses. With OpenImmo it is not determined to whom a software sends data. OI has no influence whatsoever on the business relationships between the companies or persons involved. OpenImmo does not play an active role in the production, transmission or distribution of data. This is the sole responsibility of the users sending or receiving the data. The data is also not sent via the OpenImmo Website.
- What does a realtor have to do?
- On the one hand he must have an OpenImmo compatible software. A list of possible companies can be found in the member list. In most cases, the necessary transfer data can be set in the software.
- What must a "sending" software company do?
- You need to create OpenImmo records from your software. This can be done via simple string functions or via special XML interfaces. Alternatively, conversion via an XSLT script is possible.
- What does an online portal have to do?
- Roughly speaking you need to be able to import the XML data from OpenImmo. This can be done manually or through additional scripts. In the paid support package you will find examples for the programming language PHP. Of course, you also need to provide a way to get the data to you. Mostly the FTP protocol is used here.
(Translated with the help of www.DeepL.com/Translator from Cologne)